Monday, March 06, 2006

Two Weeks Worth

Sorry this is so overdue, work has been CRAZY over the last couple of weeks. It is our busiest time of year.

FEB 24-26
The engagement photo session (Feb 25) with Rierson Photography went very well. Bryan and Jo Rierson, who are shooting our wedding, also did our engagement shoot. Bryan was lead shooter, with Jo taking pictures but also assisting Bryan with reflectors and equipment when necessary.

The weather was a bit uncooperative (very overcast), and toward the end of the shoot the wind picked up so much that even Bryan was rearranging my hair, LOL! I have the world's most long-suffering hair, for sure.

As most of you know, we were going for sort of an edgy, urban feel for our photos. Luckily, the Rierson's studio is in one of the artsy parts of uptown Raleigh, so we started right in the alley beside one of the storefronts. There is a lot of distressed, old Raleigh brick that will hopefully make for a cool background. From there we walked to the train depot, then to the neighboring park for some traditional "newspaper-worthy" shots, then to a local museum, then down one of the busy streets for some traffic/parking meter/sidewalk shots.

I wish I felt more comfortable in the camera lens! I felt like such a complete, inhibited dork the whole time! Plus, Jay kept reminding me "real smile, real smile!" As opposed to my more controlled grin. Jay was laughing the entire time because he thinks the whole process of photoshoots is cheesy.

At any rate, they took about 5-6 rolls of film (yes, we're all film sticklers--they have their own dark room and hand-develop everything). Bryan has some cool creative processes that I don't know too much about, except that it creates a really cool vintage look to some of the photos. Here is a link to that kind of shot...he is going to process some of our engagement & some of our wedding shots that way. They took a great deal of digital, too.

The best part about the photoshoot was getting to know and becoming more comfortable with our photographers. I think this will make a world of difference during the wedding weekend. What's more, they are totally geeked that we want them to be ultra creative-- i.e. tilted shots, crazy compositions, different processes, etc. People who are really passionate about their art, their craft, love this kind of creative free reign.

We expect the proofs by early next week--and with their blessing, will be excited to share!

Had a fabulous weekend in Raleigh all around. Went to an AC/Dixie show with J's bro-in-law and his friends Friday night. AC/Dixie is a bluegrass AC/DC cover band. How funny is that? They do original material, too. Tons of fun with a wicked-talented banjo player.

Also had brunch at Lucky32 Sunday morning with the ever-fabulous Gabbyfek! Always a pleasure to meet up with her. :) HUGS to Gabby right now; thinking of you sweetie.

March 4-5


Back to my hometown to meet with the organist/music director on Saturday. Cannot convey how much I love this guy and his talent. Highly recommended by my church's minister of music, he indeed blew me away. I had decided on about half of the musical selections, and needed his expertise and suggestions on the other half. He brought in a huge selection of music, mainly less often heard classical pieces and hymns at my request. We crafted a beautiful, interesting, challenging, varied program that I am SO excited about. that HE is so excited about. Again, it goes to show you, those individuals who are so into their craft get so excited about working outside of the box.




I found my espresso brown tableclo
ths this weekend! They are "Dark Brown Bengaline", which is the espresso with a slight sheen and texture of fine grograin ribbon. They look great. I also found the unfinished boxes for my table centerpieces (flanked with fat squares vases) that will house tall, green bamboo and a cascade of orchids. My grandaddy is going to stain the boxes dark brown for me :) The fat square vases will be filled with water and have bunches of flowers in varying colors/heights.

Met with the Florist/Wedding Director again on Sunday. I brought in some boxes/vases, etc. I had purchased, and we more concretely worked them into the theme/color/layout idea.

The theme of our reception is NOSTALGIA MODERN

Modern: clean lines, square vases, wooden table runners, bamboo in brown boxes, elegant blue/brown combo.
















Nostalgic:
Baseball touches and favors, tin signs, tubs filled with bottle Cokes (outside on the deck), family photos, etc.














My wedding shoes came in. Thrilled with them. Glamourous and so comfortable, too. Not as shiny as the picture shows.
Ordered our wedding favors. Another surprise I am so excited about. So personal, so unique. Can't tell just yet, but trust me, they are awesome.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Em!
LOVE reading updates about your wedding planning! The things you have planned and are doing are just so awesome, girl! It's going to be some event! So happy for you! Can't wait to see a sneak peek of your engagement photos! ;)

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY! just kidding! :) love seeing all of these updates.

on a baseball related note... was told last night that jeff was on the world baseball team. pretty cool stuff.

9:28 AM  
Blogger J and D said...

LOVE the theme! I just can't wait to see those engagement pics!!!!!!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Mara said...

wow.
i just started reading, but your wedding sounds like it's going to be awesome.
love the brown.
and the photos sound very cool.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Joanna Bolick said...

Wow, Emily, your wedding is going to be wonderful! Love reading all the details! Can't wait to see those photos!!!

10:50 PM  
Blogger RACHEL =) said...

I still cannot get over how amazingly detailed you are - your wedding is just going to be AWESOME!!! Love the colors, and the photos sound like they will be so unique! Love hearing about your plans! =)

11:32 PM  
Blogger darcy said...

Love reading about your wedding!! You are one detailed bride, that's for sure!! You should go into wedding consulting when you're finished.. you are seriously talented.

LOVE the touches of tins and such that gives it a baseball feel.. cant' wait to see pics!

1:50 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

Oooooh, those shoes!!!!! If only my feet were not small and wide -- I would wear glamour, high style shoes like you :)

Can't wait to see the photos!!! If you can't post them, just sneak 'em in an email to me :) Hee hee!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home