Sunday, March 19, 2006

Executing the Details

We are at a point in planning where the details are executed. We buy the things we need to decorate. Plans come to fruition. My mom was in town, so she was my partner-in-crime shopping for wedding stuff (and plenty of fun clothes for herself). On Saturday, we shopped from 11am-7pm.
We made a trip to the fabric store of all fabric stores here in NC. FINALLY found the 2.5" ribbon I'd been looking for. The royal blue color will "anchor" the tables, color-wise, as shown in the original picture. The lighter blues are my favorites, so we'll use more of them. The top and bottom blues look a lot different in person, I don't think you can tell very well due to my flash. Our florist also has tons of 1.5" blue ribbon that we're going to use to supplement what we bought. Each strip of ribbon will be approximately 60" in length. That's a freaking lot of ribbon! At any rate, I am glad to have it in my hands. While I am home one weekend next month, mom and I are going to mock up a table (we're borrowing seven 8-top tables from our church) so we know exactly what type of lattice pattern we'll go with). (Update about the brown boxes (with bamboo) that will be one of three small centerpieces. My grandaddy is going to stain them all. It means so much to me that I will have his handiwork as a part of the beautiful tables--he has always been a master-craftsman. He can doanything with his hands, even at nearly 81 years of age. Love that man more than I can put into words).

While at Mary Jo's, I also found the chiffon that will be used as sashes for the bridesmaids' dresses. I'm going to have to find someone to hem them for us, but I'll wait til the dresses come in to do that. The shirt in the picture is for color representation only (it's the shirt I wore in my engagement pictures). I think the dresses are going to look absolutely FABULOUS, especially with their white hydrangea and light orange mini gerbera daisy bouquets! :)

Another place I am absolutely in love with is Garden Ridge. Let me stop right now and issue a PSA: If you are ever, ever looking for a basket of any shape, size, color, form, texture, or material, go to Garden Ridge. I was simply overwhelmed; literally 1/3 of the store is baskets. It is basket-tastic. And much cheaper than Michael's. (I am always balking at the absured $40 price tag of some of the three-basket sets at Michael's). We found these super-fine bamboo trays to hold the ceremony programs. (By the way, I have totally changed my mind about the style of program. More on that in a later post). And the trays are totally usable in our apartment once we get married.

Finally, I picked up this for myself. I need a big rolling suitcase--the only rolling suitcase I have is my carry-on sized one. The honeymoon is the perfect reason for a new one. Not only is it sturdy and functional, it's fantastically chic and girly, too. (If only it came with a matching DVF wrap dress, then I'd be good to go!) A TJ Maxx special, BTW. (Note to self: must obtain passport, ASAP! I guess that means I should share where we're going on the honeymoon too, huh?) :)

Other updates:
I have about 92% of the addresses I need for the invitations. When you consider that we're inviting over 400 people, that means I am in good shape! Ordering the invites and embosser this week!

I hired a videographer a couple of weeks ago. I know that some people (my mom and J, for two) think that they're unnecessary (why not have cousin Lenny do it), but I really wanted a professional who would create a masterpiece. I am just the cheeseball type of person who wants to relive the whole day, over and over. Beyond my wonderful memories. Beyond the photographic beauty. And I found a videographer who is so fantastic, and she's such a great person, too. She creates DVDs with menus so you can individually select Ceremony (in it's entirety), Reception highlights (first dance, cake cutting, bouquet toss, plus edited "best of" dancing moments), the groom getting ready. The bride getting ready. The whole DVD is set to 5 or 6songs of our choosing. You just have to check out her website and see; I wish you could see her demo DVD and see why she just rocks my world.

J and I also worked on our timeline of how the reception will play out. From what happens the minute the guests show up (oldies, beach music, motown tunes etc) to what happens after the bride and groom are introduced (we are going to immediately go to the cake, my dad will say a few words, then we cut the cake, and the party gets started). It makes me feel a lot better, and it lets us play out in our heads what we need to make sure gets done. Who's going to replenish the favor table? where will the cake slices be moved to? etc etc.

We also tackled the SONG LIST. Now, I may've mentioned before, but J is so serious about the music. He is so into music, period. Take whatever man you know who loves listening to music, finding out new bands, eschewing pop music--and multiply it by 10. And then you have J. Everyone is counting on my fiance to plan the "party" after the ceremony because that's just his bag. As you can imagine, the play list for the reception is a huge deal. Over the past several months--on car trips, watching TV, etc, we've compiled a few lists of songs we'd like to consider for the reception. I typed all of them up in Excel. I gave J a copy. He put an "x" by his MUST PLAYS and an "x" by his PLEASE PLAYS (which in essence is the bank from which the DJ will play). I did the same thing. Then, we made a list of all the songs we both x'd, and narrowed that down to 25. (The remaining songs went in the PLEASE PLAY bank, and the ones neither one of us x'd are tossed). LOL, are we anal or what?! :)

If you're interested, here is the list of 25 must-plays, not including the first dances (in no certain order):

First Dance - Everthing I Do, I Do it For You (J is really throwing me a bone with this one. He doesn't really like Bryan Adams, but I've wanted to dance to this song since Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (my fave movie!) came out in 1991.

Father-Daughter Dance TBA! My dad is being no help on this one! Considering the stand bys of My Girl, You are the Sunshine of My Life, etc. Any suggestions are welcome! :)

Mother-Son Dance J and his mom are dancing to Simple Man by lynyrd skynyrd. If you have not heard this song, download it immediately. It brings me to tears absolutely ever time I hear it. Amazing song.

1. Devil Went Down to Georgia, Charlie Daniels Band)
2. White Trash Wedding, Dixie Chicks (no insinuations, of course)
3. Shook Me All Night Long, AC/DC
4. Ice Ice Baby, Vanilla Ice
5. Wild Thang, Tone Loc
6. It Take Two, Robb Base
7. Brick House, Commodores
8. Rock this Town, Stray Cats
9. Ride That Train, Quad City DJs
10. Wake Me Up! Wham
11. Faith, George Michael (YES, I love me some 80's George Michael!)
12. Cotton Eye Joe, Rednexx
13. Hot in Herre, Nelly
14. Yeah!, Usher
15. Nuthin' but a G Thang, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg
16. Let me Clear my Throat, DJ Kool
17. I Love You More Today (than Yesterday), Goldfinger
18. Take On Me, Reel Big Fish (not A-Ha, these are some of Jay's punk/ska bands' covers. They rock)
19. Pressure Drop, Toots and the Maytals (1960s ska, predates reggae, go download it)

20. Brown-Eyed Girl, Van Morrison (because I am one, and that song rocks!)
21. Stagger Lee, Lloyd Price (we South Carolinians shag to this song...remember the movie? It's beach music.
22. Let's Get it On, Marvin Gaye
23. Wicked Game, Chris Isaak
24. At Last, Etta James

Ok, so we have about 25 songs. I think we added another one at the last minute. But you get the idea.


More exciting plans that have been made...My Bachelorette Weekend. Or rather, what I call "Bridesmaids Weekend." Bachelorette Weekend insinuates strippers and tiaras and dancing on bar tables wearing life-saver coated "suck for a buck" tee shirts, and that is not my scene at all. It's just a weekend for me and my best girls to have a great time AT THE BEACH laying out, staying up late talking, eating out, shopping, whatever. I absolutely cannot wait. My sister is heading up the whole shindig, because they'll also give me a lingerie shower that weekend, too ;) My sis is loving the planning.

Here are some pictures of the newly-built, all beach-front hotel where we're staying. And it's all cool because my best friend got married there last November, so we already know what to expect!

How's that for an update. It's getting close! Less than 3 months away, now, people! So exciting :)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang Emily, you are SO in control of this situation!! :) I'm loving reading all your details, so fun!

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

absolutely reccomend the videographer! i was actually sad the first time i played ours back as the day goes by so fast and i coudldn't remember anything. such a great keepsake to have. :)

9:33 AM  
Blogger Jessica O'Brien said...

Ok can I just tell you how in love I am with you that you are sharing all these details with us?!?! It makes me so happy!

All of the decorations look like they'll be amazing. You really have such an eye with color, home decor, clothing- I can tell. And I totally thought the same about a DvF dress with that luggage too! haha

So tell us already!!!!!!! Where is the honeymoon?!?!?! Somewhere tropical? Caribbean? Europe? Romantic Italy? Come on! I'm dying here! ;) xo

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT update, em!! love the ribbons & the sashes & cuuute suity-suit-case!! ;) love the update! and simple man is one of nates choices for the mother son dance too! craziness! :) getting so excited for you, girlie! :)

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading this blog! I can't wait to see how everything comes together. As I've said before, you have awesome taste! Such an eye for detail, color, etc. I see a career in wedding planning if you ever wanted it. ;)

I also can't wait to dance to the songs you & Jay picked out! I knew the music would be something very important to him. Only problem will be getting my husband out on the dance floor. :)

11:27 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I've been reading for a while, but have never commented until I read you were having hydrangea's ( I know I spelled that wrong). I have to tell you I've been in two weddings in which the bridesmaids carried these and they didn't live through the ceremony. I'm not saying this always happens could be some weird coincidence, but make sure you talk to your florist.
On the other had you are so freaking prepared it is amazing so maybe you already know this!
Keep the posts coming I love reading all the details and love all your ideas!

4:44 PM  
Blogger gabbyfek said...

you AMAZE me.
LOVE all the details... and that ribbon... mmmmm. i want to roll around in it like a cat.
;)
xoxox,
g

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO love reading your updates! YOu have such great ideas! Love reading them even more now that I'm engaged too! :) So exciting! Thanks for the good wishes, I really appreciate it! You're wonderful!

6:15 PM  
Blogger sue @ postcards from paradise falls said...

a friend of mine and her dad did the father/daughter dance to "the way you look tonight"... i thought that was cool.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Joanna Bolick said...

I love all these details!! So are you sewing the ribbon pattern onto the tableclothes? Just thinking about all that ironing and such...really, an irrelevant detail that crossed my mind... I love the color scheme and the little added orange for the boquets is just going to be awesome!! I can't WAIT to see photos from this wonderful event! The suitcase ROCKS!

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK - if I pinky promise not to eat or drink anything can I come? :) I promise you won't even know I'm there! This is going to be so beautiful...

6:59 PM  
Blogger darcy said...

LOVE all your ideas, Emily!! I'm actually using your idea on the tables with the ribbon for a lingerie shower I'm throwing for my friend next Tuesday. Her colors are the same as yours and we also have blue sashes like that.. LOVE those colors!!!

Oh.. and I've also been in a wedding where we held hydrangia's.. they wilted and were limp before we walked down the isle!! Just a head's up.. =)

TELL us where the honeymoon is!!!

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY so fun to catch up on everything!! I love reading all of this- makes me want to plan another wedding all over again!! Your wedding is going to be amazing!!!! You are looking fab, too- glad to hear the surgery went well!! Can't wait to see all the wedding pictures!! Your weekend with the girls sounds awesome!!! My dad and I danced to Grateful Dead *I will take you home* :-) such a beautiful song- my dad cries now every time he hears it. http://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/grateful-dead/62334.html

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home