Monday, January 09, 2006

Updates

Mom and I spent over an hour with the florist this weekend, and I think I conveyed my "Elegant Modern" aesthetic to him. We talked about how we'd decorate the church, the reception, and the bouquets and stuff. Thankfully I'm on the right track with my blue/brown/with a pop of orange flower ideas--he loved it. I'm going to be carry mostly blue in a couple different flowers, the bridesmaids will carry mostly cream and orange (mini gerber daisies?) with a pop of blue.

I'm also going to incorporate either a brooch or another piece of my grandmother's jewelry into my bouquet :) (Wired or pinned as shown below)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This weekend my mom, my aunt, my sister and I went through my Granny's jewelry. It was tough seeing her signature pieces, stuff she wore everyday, or special occasions, or things that my sister and I played dress up with years ago. I miss her. I was given her beautiful ruby and diamond anniversary band. I am wearing it right now.

For the reception we're going with some really modern centerpieces that I'm on the lookout for...some deep brown boxes with chunks of green bamboo and a flow of white orchids or something like that. I have a picture of it (In Style, of course); I'll try and remember to post it. For now, here's an example of grouped bamboo and how cool and modern it looks:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The tables at the reception (just for sitting and eating briefly, no sit down dinner, remember) will look like this:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Straight from the pages of Cottage Living...espresso table cloths, pinned with woven blue ribbons that fall to the floor. Simple to execute but big on impact.

Also met with the photographer who will likely do my portrait. Our engagement shoot/wedding photographers are out of Raleigh, but I wanted to hire someone in my hometown to do the bridal portrait. It's just easier. Oh, and I'm taking my portrait outdoors, unless something major happens. I cannot stand wedding portraits taken in front of some faux-finish looking, mottled grey background. I'd like to do something on the stairs of a building on the nearby college campus, or maybe at something at the gardens. Who knows.

159 days left!

7 Comments:

Blogger darcy said...

I do believe I need to steal that ribbon/table cloth idea for a lingerie shower I am throwing a friend! her colors are the same as yours... how convinient. =) That broach on the flower handle is FAB!!!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

oh darcy, you weren't reading my blog when I put up my disclaimer:

No stealing of ideas ;) ;) http://otherwise-engaged.blogspot.com/2005/10/planning.html

2:22 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

The table decorations look FABULOUS! I just love the brown and blue combo. This is going to be such a gorgeous wedding, E!

5:04 PM  
Blogger J and D said...

I love those ribbons!

We had a pin that belonged to Denis' grandmother attached to my bouquet - she passed away right after we decided to get married, and it meant so much that I was able to meet her.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

love the centerpieces and those tablecloths! i also love your idea for the bridal portrait! be glad i already got married ;)

10:31 AM  
Blogger gabbyfek said...

gorgeous...........
gorgeous.
that's the only word i have.
LOVE it.
those ribbons are perfect.
xox,
g

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! The turquoise is my hubs favorite color. That is so unique. I am wearing my grandmother's wedding ring. Nothing these days has the same quality in uniqueness (is that a word?) as the antique jewelry. Are you going to wear the anniversary band at your wedding?

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home