Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Guest List...

...is astonishing!

J's parents got their "number" to my mom and me this weekend, and I spent Monday night on my family's list. Got an Excel Spreadsheet working and everything. My family's list is quite ambitious, because of my pretty large family, VERY large church family that has seen me grow up, Dad/Mom's work, and various friends from different stages in MY life. And to be honest, the majority of these people still live in or around my hometown (within 1.5 hrs) and will likely come to the wedding.

We're definitely having my dream-- a big wedding. How big? The first draft is 400, guesstimating that 300 or so will attend. We'll see if we have to make cuts depending on the cost of catering.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comThe Saga...

I also plan on mandating that no children under 6 are allowed in the ceremony--including family. Children at the reception--that's fine--they can make as much noise there as they want. But they are not ruining my elegant ceremony. I cannot tell you how many weddings I've been to with a chattery 3 yr old or wailing infant interrupting the vows. I love kids; I usually find their incessant cooing adorable. But not during the ceremony. My wedding director or other appointed nazi will steer the parents/children to an equipped, staffed nursery within the church.
I am starting to get panic attacks about blocking rooms for THE hotel in my hometown. It's a Fairfield Inn that is the nicest by far, and within walking distance of the quaint downtown area. Once we estimate how many out-of-towners will stay, we can get those rooms blocked.
ETA: My mom put a call in, and we've officially blocked 35 rooms (all they had left due to a family reunion booking 50!) All the rooms are part of a new wing, though, so that is exciting. I worry that won't be enough, but there's also a Bed and Breakfast we can book and another (less desirable) Comfort Inn available if necessary.

In other news: I have scheduled IntraLASIK surgery!!!! Yes, it has been a goal of mine to get the surgery done at some point, since I cannot wear contacts (too skeeved out, have tried three times). The surgery is scheduled for Feb 10! It's costing a freaking pretty penny, too, but it's worth it because my surgeon is literally one of the pioneers in the industry. He's performed over 50,000 of the IntraLASIK (the blade free), making him the most experienced in the world, teaches all over the country, etc.

I am one of those people who hates having anything around/touching/near my eye, so I will be awfully uncomfortable pre-surgery, but apparently they give Valium to calm the jitters, which I am all about!

I have worn glasses 24/7 (well, 16/7) since I was 8, so I will be one of those people for which the surgery will be truly life-altering. People don't know me without glasses. It will be so fun. I'm so excited about getting engagement, bridal portrait, and wedding pictures without glasses!

Finally, I have lost my touch with scrapbooking. No one likes my work anymore, the least of which is me ;)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessica O'Brien said...

Ok I'm commmenting on the last comment first- I truly think you and I are in the same boat right now with a lot of scrappng stuff. I'm gonna email you, but don't think that nobody likes your work because I LOVE it. We all love it. I know words like that don't convince you of your awesomeness as much as a call to be on a DT would, but believe me- you are amazing.

I'm so with you on the kids thing- I just think its not necesssary. Plus they don't want to be there- they are bored and antsy, so thats a good call! xo

2:55 PM  
Blogger J and D said...

how exciting about the surgery! a good friend of mine had his done last year, and it changed his life!

and for the record...i love your scrapping!

5:50 PM  
Blogger gabbyfek said...

well, I LOVE YOUR WORK.... the DC layout you posted today was fab...
it truly was...
and moreover-- i adore YOU... oodles. and don't like the sound of you saying you don't like your work...
however-- planning a wedding??
STRESSFUL.
scrapping and stress do not work well together...
the hotel WILL work out...
and your wedding is going to be incredible. and huge. and wonderful... of these things i am certain...
and i cannot wait to hear about your lasik. i want it. but i fear it....
ok, this is getting long.
chat w/ you soon.... ;)
xo,
g

6:47 PM  
Blogger melanie said...

I love your scrapping. I do. We all do.

Lasik? Wow, Emily that is so truly exciting. I have terrible eyesight, I’ve worn contacts everyday since 10th grade (well, not *everyday*, but you know what I mean).

Your guest list certainly sounds astonishing (but so fun having such a big crowd!) .. oh, and I’m totally with you on the no-kids thing.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I am so happy for you that you're getting your...I think your words were "high cotton"...wedding :) I know it is just what you want! Also--even more happy for you about the lasik! TJ had it several years ago, and now practically his entire fam has gone for it! he says not to worry...they'll give you plenty of drugs to calm your nerves :P good luck! :)

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home