Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Toddler Meals / Lunch edition.

I've been sharing what Parker eats for a few months now on Instagram and Twitter, hashtag #toddlermeals. So I was excited to join the Munchkin Meals link up to see what other babes are eating. 



While I prepare most of Parker’s meals at home, we do eat lunch out once or twice a week when I’m running errands. Now that Parker is 1 (14.5 months) and can eat pretty much whatever I eat, there are many options out there, but they’re not always healthy or nutritious. 

Here are the best lunch options we’ve found:

Chipotle: Chipotle is one of the better fast food options out there for adults, so it’s no surprise that kids eat better, too. Parker demolishes food from Chipotle – and it’s probably the most wallet-friendly option! You can get a taco or taco-sized quesadilla, choice of two sides (I get black beans and brown rice), chips (which I eat!), and milk or juice. All for $3.75! Parker obviously drinks whole milk and we haven’t offered him juice yet (we plan to wait a loooong while unless he gets constipated – which hasn’t been a problem so far) - so that gets saved for mama, too. I always bring his whole milk and water for him to drink with each meal.

One note: If I go someplace like Chipotle or Moe’s that offers black beans, pinto beans, veggies, or guacamole as a topping, often I will just ask for them on the side and then just give them to Parker ;)

Panera Bread:  The kids menu is pretty limited , after all, it is just a sandwich place. I usually get Parker a turkey and cheese sandwich (comes on white wheat bread). I often ask for gouda or cheddar in place of the American cheese that comes on it. It comes with a Horizon organic “go gurt” – which Parker drinks with a straw ;) I’ll usually supplement this meal with something from home – a pouch or chopped pickle, or some fruit. He also gets a few pieces of my baguette dipped in some of my fantastically-delicious broccoli cheese soup.

Chick Fil A: Chick Fil A is another wonderfully kid-friendly place. They offer table toppers with their high chairs! I get Parker a 4-piece grilled nuggets (not breaded) with a cup of fruit. The fruit is not the typical melon-heavy cop out that you sometimes get :) The fruit cup usually has strawberries, pineapple, green apples, and grapes.


Finally, another tip. Parker and I met my parents at Applebee’s once when I was visiting my hometown, and none of the kids menu options looked healthy or good to me. So I ordered Parker a Spinach & Artichoke flatbread from the appetizer menu! It was about $7, which was more expensive than most kids menus, but it was (a bit) healthier. I recommend checking the appetizer section and/or sharing part of huge restaurant meals with your toddler. It beats the chicken nuggets – grilled cheese – hot dog options any day!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Kelly @ Runmarun said...

Thanks for the run down on going out to eat! What a clever idea for a lunch post.

My husband and I eat at Chipotle a lot so it's good to know that they have kid-friendly meals there.

We ate at the Olive Garden on Monday and I gave Lula some of the veggies from my minestrone soup- she loved them and they were really mushy which was great for her!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Sarah M. said...

I love those table toppers at Chick-fil-a!! Best invention ever! Great post!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home