Our Wedding Weekend
Details from the wedding are long overdue. I am sorry about that! I wanted to wait until we got pictures to go with it...and we just got our proof books (900 images!) on Tuesday, and our online site went live yesterday. (they are pixelated on my blog, but in perfect resolution on the live site).
Strange as it may be, I was most worried during the rehearsal! Let me mention that the first wedding that I have ever been in was my own, and completely new to me. The whole time I felt like I had one day of rehearsal, one day to memorize my "lines" and know my. Never been a bridesmaid. So this was all steps, for the big opening night. Ha! I was worried I was driving my pastor crazy, but he assured me that I really didn't have to remember anything, and he would nudge me if necessary ;) We went through the ceremony twice. Our musicians were there as well, and I was super pumped because the pieces just came together beautifully. When Chelsea, our violinist, began playing our Pavane piece, tears just sprang to my eyes, because it is such a moving, emotional, layered song. Love it. The rehearsal dinner was quite lovely, too.
We had appetizers and drinks on the veranda, followed by a beautiful toast from a family friend. For dinner, everyone was mixed up at different tables, and it was such a treat to see everyone who makes up a piece of who we are, getting to know one another.
After the dinner, we had a party for family and friends. It was held at a coffee shop in my hometown, and it is by far the coolest, most eclectic and interesting place in our little conservative town :) It is owned andoperated by a friend of mine from high school, an artist extraordinaire and now restauranteur. People asked me "This place is so cool. Was this
you
r hangout in high school?" To which I replied "I wish. It took a product of my high school to create something this cool." The party was so much fun. Our friends and family who came in Friday night were able to mix and mingle...the party had such an easy flow from room to room to the courtyard. Lots of storytelling amongst family members, lots of introductions, lots of laughs. A perfect night!
Saturday morning was the bridal brunch. We had delicious breakfast casserole, fruit and muffins, and I gave all of the bridemaids their gifts. A necklace to wear with their dresses
, and a cool
oversized mug from Anthropologie. It was a lot of fun to hang out with the bridesmaids and family before we all went our separate ways to get ready for "the big day!" Mom, my sister and I were off for modified mani-pedis at 1pm! My nails were primed with a beautiful milky white I'd bought especially for the day, OPI Mimosas for the Mr. and Mrs. I absolutely adore that color, and it looked fantastic in photos. While at the salon, we learned that the caterers hadn't thought to begin chilling any of the champagne or wine or cokes waiting at the country club. Many panicked calls later, my sister's boyfriend saved the day by executing that task :)
My hairstylist, Carrie, arrived around 3pm. She cut and styled my hair in Charlotte on a regular basis, and I was so thrilled she'd be
doing my hair for the big day-- traveling an hour and a half, to boot. She is such a rock star, and can truly make something outta nothing-- case in point, my fine, thin, flat, soft hair. She has always listened to me whine and complain about my hair with a sympathetic ear, offering real solutions. And, she has a completely calming disposition. Love that girl. Anyway, she got to work on my hair, and a mere 45 minutes later had achieved the blunt, modern bob of my wedding dreams.
My sister called. She and Jay had both been by the country club to check out the drinks situation, and insisted that I go by there
on my way to get my makeup done. All the decorations were in place, the tables perf
ection, the centerpieces fantastic. They said I needed to go soak in the fruits of my creative labor because the reception would be such a blur. I am so glad I did this. It gave me such a peace to check out what was to come. I was simply gidd
y with excitement; everything looked beautiful! The favors were out. The ca
ke-- the cake was there! It was white on white, piped with vows, phrases about love, messages and love note thoughts, all selected by me. It was the perfect cake, since, well, I am a writer. Jay liked it a lot too, especially because it tasted good :)

It was such a treat to take everything in.
Meanwhile, the guys were all getting ready at the hotel, and set to arrive at the church around 6:15pm.
Next, I had my makeup appointment at 5pm. My mom was there, having her makeup done as well.
The transform
ation to bride was nearly complete! All of the bridesmaids were set to gather at the church at 6pm! That hour between 6 and 7 felt like it took forever...but in a good way! It was so fun to be in a room of bubbly excitement! We tied the bridesmaids sashes, got my into my dress and took a couple of tries at my veil. The first time it was too low on my head, so we took it out and placed it closer to the crown. Perfect. I cannot tell you how much I love my veil. Sheer perfection, no pun intended. It was such a clean silhouette. Loved it.









The ceremony was just beautiful. I'll let the photos tell the story. Everything went off without a hitch. Walking down the aisle with my dad to Rondeau. Seeing Jay grinning. Remembering everything. Helping me up the stairs. Our family friend, who was like a second mom to me, sang "Shine on Us" by Michael W. Smith. My sister did a reading from one of our favorite books/movies growing up, Anne of Avonlea-- a passage so true of Jay's and my journey. We were friends first: Perhaps, after all, romance did not come into one's life with pomp and blare, like a knight riding down; perhaps it crept to one's side like an old friend through quiet ways; perhaps it revealed itself in seeming prose, until some sudden shaft of illumination flung athwart its pages betrayed the rhythm and the music, perhaps. . . perhaps. . .love unfolded naturally out of a beautiful friendship, as a golden-hearted rose slipping from its green sheath.
The vows, well, that's where it got more emotional. When Jay started "repeating after", he wasn't looking at me, he was looking at the pastor. So I squeezed his hand gently and whispered "look at me". And bless his heart, that's when his tears began to fall. Love that man.
All in all, the ceremony, from the seating of the mothers to the presentation of husband and wife, took a crisp 16 minutes! Sixteen minutes, people! I was shocked by this, I thought it would be about 25 minutes. I told Jay later, I hope people didn't feel gipped! :) He and I both wanted a to-the-point ceremony, but we underestimated the time a bit, I guess!
Sooooo happy to be husband and wife! :) :) :)
After the formal pictures in the sanctuary, in a fantastic '55 Bel Air, we headed to.....the high school baseball field righ
t around the corner! I wanted some fun candids of
the bridal party there, just the cool juxt
aposition of formal wear and dirt. They turned out great!



And then, it was off to the reception, where we arrived a mere hour after starting the pictures in the sanctuary. We were quite proud of that, since we'd been to weddings where it took the bride and groom 1.5-2 hours to arrive! And we got the party started! After introductions, we immediately cut the cake and had our first dances.
I'd like to share more o
f the details.
It may look like we OD'd on baseball stuff, but it was all infused with the other decor and food in a very
sub
tle way.
The reception was an absolute blast! Lots of dancing, laughing, catching up, and eatin good food!




PS...here is a closeup of my bouquet, which showcases my grandmother's brooch. As many of you know, she passed away on Dec 20 of last year. I miss her so much, but she was there...

Strange as it may be, I was most worried during the rehearsal! Let me mention that the first wedding that I have ever been in was my own, and completely new to me. The whole time I felt like I had one day of rehearsal, one day to memorize my "lines" and know my. Never been a bridesmaid. So this was all steps, for the big opening night. Ha! I was worried I was driving my pastor crazy, but he assured me that I really didn't have to remember anything, and he would nudge me if necessary ;) We went through the ceremony twice. Our musicians were there as well, and I was super pumped because the pieces just came together beautifully. When Chelsea, our violinist, began playing our Pavane piece, tears just sprang to my eyes, because it is such a moving, emotional, layered song. Love it. The rehearsal dinner was quite lovely, too.
We had appetizers and drinks on the veranda, followed by a beautiful toast from a family friend. For dinner, everyone was mixed up at different tables, and it was such a treat to see everyone who makes up a piece of who we are, getting to know one another.After the dinner, we had a party for family and friends. It was held at a coffee shop in my hometown, and it is by far the coolest, most eclectic and interesting place in our little conservative town :) It is owned andoperated by a friend of mine from high school, an artist extraordinaire and now restauranteur. People asked me "This place is so cool. Was this
you
r hangout in high school?" To which I replied "I wish. It took a product of my high school to create something this cool." The party was so much fun. Our friends and family who came in Friday night were able to mix and mingle...the party had such an easy flow from room to room to the courtyard. Lots of storytelling amongst family members, lots of introductions, lots of laughs. A perfect night!
Saturday morning was the bridal brunch. We had delicious breakfast casserole, fruit and muffins, and I gave all of the bridemaids their gifts. A necklace to wear with their dresses
, and a cool
oversized mug from Anthropologie. It was a lot of fun to hang out with the bridesmaids and family before we all went our separate ways to get ready for "the big day!" Mom, my sister and I were off for modified mani-pedis at 1pm! My nails were primed with a beautiful milky white I'd bought especially for the day, OPI Mimosas for the Mr. and Mrs. I absolutely adore that color, and it looked fantastic in photos. While at the salon, we learned that the caterers hadn't thought to begin chilling any of the champagne or wine or cokes waiting at the country club. Many panicked calls later, my sister's boyfriend saved the day by executing that task :)My hairstylist, Carrie, arrived around 3pm. She cut and styled my hair in Charlotte on a regular basis, and I was so thrilled she'd be
doing my hair for the big day-- traveling an hour and a half, to boot. She is such a rock star, and can truly make something outta nothing-- case in point, my fine, thin, flat, soft hair. She has always listened to me whine and complain about my hair with a sympathetic ear, offering real solutions. And, she has a completely calming disposition. Love that girl. Anyway, she got to work on my hair, and a mere 45 minutes later had achieved the blunt, modern bob of my wedding dreams.My sister called. She and Jay had both been by the country club to check out the drinks situation, and insisted that I go by there
on my way to get my makeup done. All the decorations were in place, the tables perf
ection, the centerpieces fantastic. They said I needed to go soak in the fruits of my creative labor because the reception would be such a blur. I am so glad I did this. It gave me such a peace to check out what was to come. I was simply gidd
y with excitement; everything looked beautiful! The favors were out. The ca
ke-- the cake was there! It was white on white, piped with vows, phrases about love, messages and love note thoughts, all selected by me. It was the perfect cake, since, well, I am a writer. Jay liked it a lot too, especially because it tasted good :)
It was such a treat to take everything in.
Meanwhile, the guys were all getting ready at the hotel, and set to arrive at the church around 6:15pm.
Next, I had my makeup appointment at 5pm. My mom was there, having her makeup done as well.

The transform
ation to bride was nearly complete! All of the bridesmaids were set to gather at the church at 6pm! That hour between 6 and 7 felt like it took forever...but in a good way! It was so fun to be in a room of bubbly excitement! We tied the bridesmaids sashes, got my into my dress and took a couple of tries at my veil. The first time it was too low on my head, so we took it out and placed it closer to the crown. Perfect. I cannot tell you how much I love my veil. Sheer perfection, no pun intended. It was such a clean silhouette. Loved it.








The ceremony was just beautiful. I'll let the photos tell the story. Everything went off without a hitch. Walking down the aisle with my dad to Rondeau. Seeing Jay grinning. Remembering everything. Helping me up the stairs. Our family friend, who was like a second mom to me, sang "Shine on Us" by Michael W. Smith. My sister did a reading from one of our favorite books/movies growing up, Anne of Avonlea-- a passage so true of Jay's and my journey. We were friends first: Perhaps, after all, romance did not come into one's life with pomp and blare, like a knight riding down; perhaps it crept to one's side like an old friend through quiet ways; perhaps it revealed itself in seeming prose, until some sudden shaft of illumination flung athwart its pages betrayed the rhythm and the music, perhaps. . . perhaps. . .love unfolded naturally out of a beautiful friendship, as a golden-hearted rose slipping from its green sheath.
The vows, well, that's where it got more emotional. When Jay started "repeating after", he wasn't looking at me, he was looking at the pastor. So I squeezed his hand gently and whispered "look at me". And bless his heart, that's when his tears began to fall. Love that man.
All in all, the ceremony, from the seating of the mothers to the presentation of husband and wife, took a crisp 16 minutes! Sixteen minutes, people! I was shocked by this, I thought it would be about 25 minutes. I told Jay later, I hope people didn't feel gipped! :) He and I both wanted a to-the-point ceremony, but we underestimated the time a bit, I guess!
Sooooo happy to be husband and wife! :) :) :)

After the formal pictures in the sanctuary, in a fantastic '55 Bel Air, we headed to.....the high school baseball field righ
t around the corner! I wanted some fun candids of
the bridal party there, just the cool juxt
aposition of formal wear and dirt. They turned out great!


And then, it was off to the reception, where we arrived a mere hour after starting the pictures in the sanctuary. We were quite proud of that, since we'd been to weddings where it took the bride and groom 1.5-2 hours to arrive! And we got the party started! After introductions, we immediately cut the cake and had our first dances.
I'd like to share more o
f the details.
It may look like we OD'd on baseball stuff, but it was all infused with the other decor and food in a very
sub
tle way.The reception was an absolute blast! Lots of dancing, laughing, catching up, and eatin good food!




PS...here is a closeup of my bouquet, which showcases my grandmother's brooch. As many of you know, she passed away on Dec 20 of last year. I miss her so much, but she was there...



14 Comments:
so happy to hear more about your day, em! gorgeous, gorgeous photos. :)
I just love it all :)
Oh wow Emily!!! It all sounds sooooo so wonderful! Love every detail! SO glad it turned out beautifully... I'm truly happy for you! =)
Absolutely stunning Em. I wish I could write more but I'm at work (shhh!) I think you looked amazing and I adore all the baseball references because you truly made it such a unique ceremony!!! TFS
amazing. and beautiful. and i am totally crying! i loved looking at all of your pictures!! absolutely a gorgeous wedding!! congrats again- I am so happy for you both!!!
wow, emily! loved hearing your take on your day! :) the photos are incredible! and i love all the baseball details...very cool! thanks for sharing with us. so happy for you & jay!!
WOW.. you had such a classy, GORGEOUS wedding!!! Loved looking at all the pics. =) Can't wait to go and see the prof pics now. =) AWESOME stuff, Emilly!!!
oh emily. . how perfect. . everything was gorgeous. . and i have to say i love your cake. . but i have a soft spot for is as our cake was just like that (although blue with white writing :) )
just stunning and elegant and FUN!!!
Beautiful! Gorgeous! Fabulous! I LOVE it! The dress, the veil, the baseball field, the cake, the guestbook, the car....I am in awe of your creative genius! Everybody must have LOVED your reception! Congratulations to you again and thank you for sharing all those delightful photos!!
emily, your whole day was magnificant! wow!! i loved the recap...i felt like i was there! i am so happy for your happiness & loved every littel detail! just gorgeous! congrats to you guys again!! how exciting!
LOVE the photos Emily!! Such a beautiful wedding!! I am SO SO happy for you and Jay!!! Huge congrats!!!!!!! Love, Maria
So awesome, Emily!! I love how you've taken us through the day!! 2 things - I loooooved your guest book and your bouquet! Gorgeous, gorgeous you were, beautiful bride!
oh em... i gotta tell you that i am not a huge "wedding" person. its just my personal thing and i don't usually get all excited about weddings.
but seeing how you were able to make your big day so PERSONAL has me in tears! that reading from the anne of avonlea about being friends first was so incredibly touching.
and you KNOW that i am totally in love with your "guest book". what an absolutely amazing idea!
i can't tell you how happy i am for you and i just wanted to thank you for sharing this with us.
wishing you and jay a lifetime of homeruns and grand slams!!!
Congrats!! Great pictures and I especially love your bouquet - absolutely gorgeous!!
Post a Comment
<< Home