Fiancee Confessions...

I can’t cook. There, I said it. If it’s more difficult than Hamburger Helper, I fret. whispers: My dinners are often of the frozen sort... If the recipe sounds too complicated, I won’t attempt it. Well, I can follow most simple recipes, but I don’t know a whole lot about cooking techniques. You know, those things every mother knows will make something just right. The basic ways to cook things! How done is done? (I am terrified of undercooking things. So J bought me a meat thermometer.)
J on the other hand, is a wizard in the kitchen. A chef. A Williams-Sonoma gadget loving, technique savvy, tuna-steak and twice baked potatoes-making gourmand. After cooking for himself for years, he’s also worked in kitchens and at a country club helping with weddings, banquets and events. He even made omelets for Arnold Palmer and Mel Gibson, among others. Cooking is just an extension of his artistic talents. And he’s good at (and persnickety about) it.
I just want to learn enough to be adequate in the kitchen. Honestly, I don’t know if I’ll ever love it. It’s just too much work for me. I don’t know how you moms do it--if you’ve worked all day at the office, or if you stay at home chasing the kids all day—and still have the energy to make a good meal. When I get home from work, all I wanna do is make a PB&J, soup, and watch Friends reruns.
In an effort to improve myself, I signed up for a cooking class at our local organic supermarket. It’s called, seriously, “How to Boil Water” (and other kitchen techniques). It’s truly a beginner’s class, where we’ll learn basic techniques and cooking methods. It’s in January, so I’ll start the year of my married life with some new skills :)
J and I have unofficially decided that he will be the one to make the meats and related entrees, and I’ll tackle sides since I looooove making creative things like lemon-lime rice. People always say you gain weight after you get married, but honestly, I think I may lose a pound or two. With all the junk food, pizza, fast food, etc that I eat weekly, cooking at home will be better for mine, and J’s, health!


6 Comments:
hehe I can *so* relate!!! I just don't understand how some people enjoy cooking. I do what is easiest while still being somewhat tasty and somewhat healthy. I hope to pick up some more skills over time ;)
you are too cute my dear....
but i must admit i loooooooove cooking....
i'm crazy like that...
love to feed people....
love to EAT...
love the whole process...
you shall learn. and perhaps even-- learn to like it???
:)
too cute.
xoxo,
g
hehehe! you're so cute! "how to boil water" sounds scrumptious! i'm sure you'll be FINE! i can cook fine--as long as it doesn't require riciculous techniques or take a long time. then i say FOR. GET. IT. 1-800-pizza-hut...hehe :)
well, my school of cooking involved 5 ingredients or less, ALWAYS! and if it takes more than 45 minutes from start to being on my plate, I lose interest!
I've been surviving. I cook most of our meals, and so far we haven't starved!
I hate cooking too Emily! BUT I try lol.. my family even tells me how awful my cooking is ha.
Just stopping by your blog to say hi!
ohhh emily! we are SOOOO much alike!! i am just like that...good thing Nate is like your man & likes to cook too! {nig sigh of relief!]...and yep,that's a SC gamecocks hat nate's wearing...he was born in s. carolina...he loves 'em! :) heee! thank you so much for all the words, girlie...can ya believe we're planning weddings at the same time?!! craziness! and i LOVE those dresses down below! fuuuun stuff! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home